The Con X: Covers - Dark Come Soon - Trashique (GRIMES X HANA)


The legendary Tegan and Sara released, through their YouTube channel "Tegan and Sara" the audio for the tracks off the The Con X the commemorates the duo's breakout album The Con (or so they say so, I think So Jealous put them on the map but whatever, they probably know better than I), which was released 10 years ago. The album is comprised of the same songs featured off "The Con" but are each covered by various artists such as Hayley Williams of Paramore, Ryan Adams, Sara Bareilles, City and Colour, Bleachers, and Cyndi Lauper.

"Dark Come Soon," not only one of my favorite songs off the album and in general, is coincidentally, my favorite cover from The Con X. It is preformed by Grimes and HANA, also known collectively as Trashique, who have both come together to collaborate on this cover, and spin the alternative, pop-punk track into a synth-pop rendition. I was not a huge fan at first, just because I love the original emotional/punk aspect of the track but the more I listen to it the more I love it. I have always been a fan of Grimes with her unique voice and her ebullient approach to her songs, I admittedly don't know much about HANA but definitely from this track I will try to discover some of her songs.

Together, the two keep an emotional aspect to the song but makes it bite less, the lack of aggressive guitars and drums in lieu fro dum machines, synthesizers and wavy guitar riffs give a more spiritual voice to the song and makes it seem more mystical. It makes it easier on the ears, and has a fluidity that can keep comfortable in your chair while at the same time, instilling a sense of melancholia.

However, the reason I love "Dark Come Soon," and The Con as a whole, is its edge. I loved how personal, emotional, and cut throat the songs are and how they keep a theme of helplessness, sadness and frustration over conflicting, confusing and depressing notions. You feel the lyrics in your skin, you empathize and understand the pain and angst that the two are feeling, especially if you yourself have been there. That is where this commemorating album loses me and makes yearn for more.

It's not to say this cover or all the covers are bad, it's just that the same feeling and emotion that empowered the original album isn't there and is replaced with a more mystical feeling.

Be sure to check out The Con X and see if Tegan and Sara is coming to a city near you, because you should check them out because they are awesome. Here's a link to their Con X tour:
http://teganandsara.com/shows/

Comments

Your Favorites

Sink into the Floor - Feng Suave

Bad (feat. Flowdan) - The Bug

The Ten Undercover Best Songs of 2017

Ten Undercover But Genius Lyrics