All I've Got - Modern Nomad


Released on March 1st of this year, "All I've Got" is a groovy, future summer-banger track with production elements not too common with new-era-jive such as samples of distorted dialogue and reversed guitar loops. However, what is consistent and attainable from this song is the need to groove!

Published on March 19th of yesterday on the ever so wonderful YouTube channel, TheLazylazyme, I found this track after being exposed to redundant songs for a week. Songs that just go through one ear and out the other without any distinction; just the common dreamy licks and soft vocals of the dream pop genre. It's not to say that it is really a bad thing, but so many bands and artists are using this formula which comes off as a copy rather than inspiration. I will say the new Courtney Barnett song, "Need a Little Time" is another interesting song to come from the upcoming Tell Me How You Really Feel. Much like her "Nameless/Faceless," the song is another direct and honest inclination of how Courtney, "really feels." I apologize for getting a little off-track but what I'm trying to say is that although Courtney Barnett's new single was cool, "All I've Got" saved me from the no-new-song blues.

Getting back to the knitty-gritty of things, "All I've Got" has that 70's revival thing that's been happening with groups like The Babe Rainbow, Major Murphy, Jadu Heart and Feng Suave. Also, like these groups who still are harnessing that sound and feeling of the groovy 70's, they are all able to differentiate themselves as a group and Modern Nomad is no exception.

Modern Nomad incorporates a subtle but noticeable bass-line and beat that takes hold of the song and carries the 70's vibe with a swagger of just needing nothing but to get down. However, as I mentioned before Tom McLean (Modern Nomad) throws in some samples of oddity but I think it works to emphasize the theme of enjoying yourself. The insertion insinuates a distraction to keep Tom McLean from doing what he wants, as the dialogue feels like clouded belittlement wrapped in a distorted mix of guitar loops and synthesizers as a crazy deterrent that life can sometimes send our way. "All I've Got" has two instances of this, towards the middle and the end of the song to indicate that adversity to fun times is near and often but as the wise Kevin G once said, "don't let the haters stop you from doin' your thang."

"All I've Got" is an interestingly smart groove and I hope Modern Nomad plans to release some more gold. So far there is no indication of an album as "All I've Got" is listed as just a stand-alone single on the Modern Nomad bandcamp page, but I would love to hear what the man can express in an entire album.

If you want to follow or find out more dirt on Modern Nomad, check out the links:
https://soundcloud.com/modern_nomad 
https://www.facebook.com/ModernNomadb...https://www.instagram.com/tom_modern_...
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7E6IR...
https://www.instagram.com/tom_modern_...


Comments

Your Favorites

Sink into the Floor - Feng Suave

Bad (feat. Flowdan) - The Bug

The Ten Undercover Best Songs of 2017

Ten Undercover But Genius Lyrics